Why Does Eating Clean Have To Be Such A Challenge?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 Aimee Larsen 5 Comments



My husband and I both had thoughts collide this week.  I've been baking bread from fresh ingredients and we love the way our house smells.  We are finally on the same page about eating clean but could use some guidance and advice...here are the challenges I'm facing currently.   I'm letting you sound off here.  This is your place to share your challenges, your learning curves, and what you are doing about them.



Our pantry is almost empty of any processed food, our fridge is filling up with grown from nature items, and our freezer is stashed with the same.  It looks like we are on the right track but just because it looks that way doesn't mean it feels that way.  I started questioning everything...


I looked down at my Costco purchases which felt really impressive...at first.  Then I thought to myself, "nothing is organic, the meat probably has flavoring or injections."  I sighed and put it all away.

Why does it feel like it's not good enough?

We struggle with our weight in this house, not because of food choices but because of the food.  Food today has become so toxic it's scary, even the so called health stuff.  I once found myself standing in front of the biscuit mix having a panic attack. Sometimes my kids enjoy a biscuits or pancakes, not often, but sometimes.  Do I make it from scratch?  Is there a healthy alternative?  Why does the kind I want have to cost so much?  My wallet wants me to by the cheap stuff?  If I make it from scratch then there is a learning curve... seriously!  I stood there with two different mixes, one in each hand, and stood there and stood there and stood there, feeling as if it were an impossible decision.

There is a learning curve...


So our pantry, fridge, and freezer look pretty wholesome.  Then the whole...should we be eating so much dairy? Why do I love it so much?  How do you replace it?  What alternative's are healthy because I've heard nothing is great?  Would farm fresh be better at least for cooking?  How do you find answers to these things?  What do you use instead of butter?  Yogurt? Sour Cream?  Did I mention of LOVE DAIRY? 


I grew up on a dairy farm!
With cornfields...
that brings me too...

Corn these days...GMO's.  There's so much talk about GMO's and how Non-GMO's and how do you know what is true and what's not.  A friend said, she judges it based on if the plant can reproduce it's self.  That makes sense.  My thoughts when I first heart "GMO" was "doesn't nature GMO on it's own?"  Doesn't nature show us that genetic modification is natural...take my Boxador for example. He's a pretty awesome puppy and can reproduce...so we're good right?  Isn't this true with all living things that can blend their genetics to make something new?   Still, what about GMO and how serious should it be taken?



Organic? I really don't want pesticides on or in my food.  Ever!  I used to have those mini-panic attacks about that too but I got over it and buy organic if it's available...if not I figure I'll try to do better.  I'd get upset when my husband bought lettuce and I swear I could smell the pesticides.  He'd get upset because I bought organic salad because it costs more.  I wash the apples, soak the grapes, I do what I can to wash our food clean but...if it's on the plant and in the soil it's grown...is there any point?  What's the dirty dozen again?


Homegrown?  Do we plant a garden this year?  Should we get chickens?  What about cows or goats? Did I mention I live in a subdivision that has codes?  We'd have to move?  Should we move?  Maybe that would help? A garden is a start but what do we plant?  When do we plant it?  How much? Does it yield enough harvest?  Do I learn how to can food?  Sure, I probably should?



Fresh markets sound like a good idea! 

Local farmers need support!

I could buy from them?

When? Where? How much?


I need to explore this option...are there people this day and age that sell fresh eggs?  Are there small farms that bottle their own milk?  Should it be pasteurized?  Is there a place I can go? Can I make my own jelly?  How do I do that and not consume so much sugar?  

Learning curve...

I've come a long way from this...


Oh and then when you figure the food out, hopefully you've figured out what to drink.


My husband and friends call me a water snob.  I won't drink my tape water unfiltered and prefer to keep an ice cold gallon jug in the fridge at all times that has been filtered or spring fresh.  I like it cold but I like it clean.  The water out of my faucet smells funny to me and tastes weird, very metallic and hard.  So I load up empty water jugs and pop in some change and refill them.  I first started doing this to make me drink more water but that's still an effort so I mix it up... I drink tea sometimes.  My kids like crystal light...but hold on? That's not clean either.  


I'm trying to increase my fruits and veggies but what I heard yesterday was that we should increase our veggies and then our fruits.  Huh?

We also all take our vitamins, minerals, omega 3's, and antioxidants too.




SO enough about the confusion...I'm taking advice!  What is working for you?  What books have helped?  What documentaries?  What recipe books?  What blogs?  I want them all! 

5 comments:

  1. The Ten Talents Cookbook! I'm not seventh day Adventist, and I am no longer vegan, but this book teaches you to do it all! From sprouting, milling, baking, canning and jarring, to freezing and dehydrating. It even has recipes for your snacks! Homemade crackers, quick breads, yeast breads, even things like teething biscuits and homemade baby formula! It also breaks down your nutritional needs. It is arguably the only cookbook you will EVER need!
    http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/ten-talents-cookbook.html
    We like www.naturalnews.com for a clear view on what is healthy and what is not. It covers food, water, medicines, and much, much more. They seem to be the best unbiased source I've found so far.
    If you want to make your own biscuit mix, find a recipe you like and put all the dry ingredients in a zip top bag or small storage container. add a label with wet ingredients and baking instructions on it, and voila! You can do the same thing for pancakes, or flat breads. If you do it for yeast breads, keep your yeast separate until time to use it as well.
    I have yet to find something I like as much as butter, unless it's for baking, then I sub coconut oil..... for milk we LOVE almond milk, but it can get expensive. The Ten Talents Cookbook gives you instruction on how to make your own non-dairy milks, but I haven't had the chance to try that one out yet. I hope that answers some of your questions. Don't worry momma, you're on the right track. You can't ever keep your family from ALL the poisons out there, but you guys will be WAY better off than those families that don't care enough to try. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am loving great cookbooks at the moment so I'll check that one out. So much great advice here!

      Delete
  2. check out www.protectivediet.com watch the FREE video explaining the plan, go to the FB page Protective Diet Style, peruse the hundreds of FREE recipes. Try those. Do the plan for 30 days. It will get rid of the sugar cravings. Of course it is dairy and meat free. Julie and Jerry are available to answer questions of all of the above still leaves you wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you. I will check it out. I can't wait to see what it involves. Thank ou so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you lived close to me...as I have fresh farm eggs for sale!...and we also grow veggies for sale in the summer.
    I just had to say...GMO's are not natural. Plants do cross pollinate in nature with plants of their own kind. GMO's insert genes from other species that are not natural...like viruses and insecticides and fish genes. You will want to avoid GMOs.
    I would recommend you read my book (Will the Real Food Please Stand Up) ...but I am still writing it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!